Thursday, July 19, 2018

Day 12 - Tetons

Well, it's easy to get an early start when you start waking up at 5 am with a crowing of a rooster. An actual rooster. We had seen some wandering in the cabin front yards and didn't think much of it. The kids thought it was great to see chickens just running free. This morning, at 5 am, though, not so cool. We were all up by 7:30. The night got pretty chilly, as predicted. At 4 am, Eleanor got Will up to use the bathroom. I think she wore her robe outside. At 5, with the rooster, Ethan asked to come down and sleep in our bed because he kept hitting his head on the ceiling from the top bunk. So I spent the last 2 hours of the early morn in the top bunk. I actually felt quite cozy in there, though, and fell asleep a couple times between rooster crows. But Will said Ethan stole his blanket and he was left freezing. All in all, not the greatest night, but we did get a solid 6 or 7 hours, even Will, which we didn't expect. I just keep telling myself...we're saving $400, we're saving $400. Not gonna lie, though, that I'm awfully jealous of the luxury cabins. They look like tiny houses with a loft, and a living room, kitchen, and bathroom downstairs. They are at least $250 a night, though, and not available. I want someone to invite me in, though, because I just wonder what they look like inside. 

Anyway, even though we hadn't showered last night, none of us showered in the morning because it was too cold. We left for the park around 8:30. It was probably about a 30 minute drive or so. Our first stop was at the Moose visitor center, where we got a map and watched a movie about the Tetons. I texted my best friend Sarah, who grew up coming here nearly every year, and asked what we should see in our two days here. She suggested a few hikes, one of which was Taggert Lake. It was just a bit further down the road, so we parked at the trailhead and got ready. The hike to the lake was 1.4. It was relatively easy, and very pretty. We went over several streams and mini waterfalls. There were some uphill struggle but not much. It was a fairly busy trail with a lot of people. At one point, we were in an area with flat land on either side. I was walking up ahead a bit with Ethan. I looked to my right and saw a dark mass in the trees. My first thought was bear, but I quickly saw it was a female moose. Our first moose! Ethan and I backed up slowly because they say at least 25 yards from animals (farther for bears), and we were probably between 10 and 15 away. A man was coming toward us, so I told him. He watched for a bit and then decided to pass. More people came and we all kind of slowly walked past. The moose was happily eating some of a bush. We didn't see any young with her so felt safer passing. I, of course, snapped a couple of pics, too. We were so excited to see a moose! And I actually spotted it myself. 

We continued on, warning those passing us that they may run into a moose. When we got to the lake, it was super worthwhile, as usual. Mount Moran loomed above the lake, reflecting perfectly on the water. There was a big rock we could climb on, and we had our picture taken. Sadly, it's all pretty shadowy. We really haven't gotten a great family pic yet. We may have to photoshop ourselves into one of our landscape photos. We could go out the way we came, or do a longer hike (2.4) back. Will wanted to go the other way, so we did. Eleanor trudged along as usual, and it took over an hour, but it was certainly pretty. We came out on the other side of the lake, into a valley with stunning views of Mount Moran and, I think, the Grand Teton with the other two peaks that are with it to form The Cathedral. No wildlife spotting on this end of the hike.

Afterwards, we got in the car, intending to drive to Jenny Lake to eat. It's one of the larger lakes an has a lodge and shuttle boats. We ended up at a lake, but I realized that it wasn't Jenny, it was String Lake, just beyond Jenny, and actually the place Sarah had suggested we go for swimming. We had planned to go there after Jenny Lake. Will couldn't find parking so dropped us off. There were a lot of people going in and out with canoes, kayaks, and stand up paddle boards. Eleanor waded in a bit and collected another 100 rocks. When Will got to us, we walked back to the car, which was at Jenny Lake lodge and got changed into our suits. We stopped at an overlook to see the real Jenny Lake first, which is pretty big. Then we went back to String Lake.

We walked along the path and found a nice spot to set up and go in the water. Ethan, who was cranky, stayed out and read at first, so Will, Eleanor, and I went in. It was chilly, but certainly not the coldest mountain lake we've been in by far. I guess the reason it's a popular swimming spot is because it's not as cold because it's very shallow. Will was the first to go under and swim out. In the very middle, it was not far above his waist. I followed soon after. Going under was startling, but was also refreshing. And then coming out and looking at the massive mountains on 2 sides, glaciers looking down on us, it was another one of those places I took a lot of mental pictures. From shore, I took real pictures, too. I got out after a while and warmed up in the hot sun. It was probably the prettiest place I've ever sunbathed. Eventually, Ethan went in the water, too, though not for long.

After we warmed up, we walked back to the car and then drove to the Jenny Lake Visitor's Center to get a different view of the lake. Eleanor and I walked down to feel the water, and she found 100 more rocks for her growing collection. At one point on our hike today, her pants fell down because they were weighed down with rocks. I'm not sure how we will drive them all home, but she sure does love them. 

We are in the town of Jackson now, and will stop at the grocery store (our daily task it seems) to grab a few things for fire tacos/quesadillas. We collected a lot of dry wood in the Tetons today, determined to not pay for firewood again. The bundles at the KOA are $8 and pretty much last one fire. They also charge for bad coffee in the morning. I am sleeping in a terribly uncomfortable bed in a cabin with a broken screen and walking 200 yards to go to a shared bathroom. I'm not paying them any more money than we have to! 

We barely scratched the surface of the Tetons today, and I'm a little sad we only have one full day here left. We can't see it all. We talked to a ranger today, who suggested a cool canyon hike we may do tomorrow. We will also probably drive up to Jackson Lake, which makes Jenny lake look like a puddle. 

At the same time, we have been living out of a suitcase for almost a month, and being in close quarters with each other is taking its toll. Ethan and Eleanor are bickering more the last few days. I think Will and I have decided to drive home via 80, instead of going back up north and going into North Dakota. We have seen some amazing things, but it's time to come home. By next week, our appliances should be in and house livable. It will be a big mess at home, but the dust will have settled, and we can sleep in our own beds. 

No comments: