Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Spring (and a little pity party)

It's arrived. At last. Spring is here. Of course, spring also comes with lots of rain, but I'll take it. Last week was cold rain; this week, at least it's warm rain. And spring means a few really good things:


-more outside time!

-fewer instances of seasonal depression (and, trust me, this is a REAL thing)

-gardening season (though this one stresses me out a bit)

-fun times with the kids on the block playing outside with many more light hours in the day
-the count down to summer can begin!



And, really, these good things can't come soon enough. I've been in a bit of a funk this winter and recently, too. Much of this has to do with the weather and feeling stuck in the house, but there are other factors. One is that I really do miss teaching. I have never regretted my decision to stay home, really and truly, but I do lament that I only had 5 years of teaching under my belt before taking this extended leave from my career. After next year, I will have been out of the classroom as long as I was in. By the time I return, I will have been out longer than I was in a classroom, and this terrifies me more than I'd care to admit. I know I did not have long enough to get close to calling myself good, and I will just have to start over. I know I will deal with it when that day comes, but, if I had the option, I would love to teach part time - maybe just two classes a day. I think it would be doable, but, unfortunately, it's not going to happen at LT. I did let my friend, who is now the assistant chair of the division, know that if they happen to have a part time position left after scheduling, to let me know. It's very unlikely, but wouldn't that be fun - and challenging!


The other funk-inducing factor is that my tailbone issues are just as bad as ever, and I am beyond frustrated. I've been seeing my old, women's health PT again, who I saw up until getting pregnant with Eleanor. She has hit the point where she is not sure what to do. When she did my initial evaluation, she saw many issues that would be contributing to my low back and tailbone pain. Since then, she's worked with me to correct these issues. Now, she sees so much improvement in all these areas...yet, my symptoms persist. Last week, she said we'll go one more week before she has me go back to see my ortho again. It makes no sense, and I could not be more frustrated. And, right now, I have plantar fasciitis so bad that I am not running. My PT thinks that the foot issue is related to the back/coccyx (tailbone) issue, too. It's amazing how everything connects in the body. So...I'm not running, she doesn't want me biking either, and I have been feeling a bit down about how out of shape I feel (and look). I have never been the "I'm so fat" girl, but I'm just not at all happy with how untoned I am right now, and having a husband who - honest to God - weighs less than me doesn't help either. Argh. Thank goodness for clothing.




Speaking of tailbone issues, I really can't sit any longer. Enjoy some recent photos.


Our latest curbside find. Not easy getting this baby in the van by myself, but it was worth it. Ethan in Susie's backyard (amazing!) tree fort awesomeness. Ethan LOVES it.Eleanor in Susie's backyard swing.


Swing date Oh yeah, she's a climber. She won't walk, but she loves to climb. Can I tell you how much I love that my kids will grow up with their cousins - on both sides. They play so well together!





In case you don't believe spring is here - daffodils! And the tulips are about to bloom, too.

Eleanor's new ride

This is Ethan and Jake at Gram and Pop Pop's egg hunt. It was Ethan's second of four this year.



A teary Besty after we gave her a framed picture of the family from Sanibel. That's a good lookin' bunch. Happy Birthday, Gram.







Yes, we spoil our kids. Will went a little overboard, but it's pretty fun.




Easter was at Laura and Chris's with a large amount of Chris's extended family, who are all so nice. Lots of fun.

It's all fun and games until Daddy takes your Twix bar away.


This little guy was awesome. He pushed Eleanor around for a half hour, allowing me some time to relax.

Happy Easter!

3 comments:

Luke said...

These are all great pictures! Eleanor is just looking so much older (and SOOO much like Ethan!) I am so sorry about the tailbone issue(s). It's completely frustrating when doctors don't know what to do to "fix" you. My hope is that eventually it will just kind of go away on its own. I know you've been dealing with it for a long time, though. I DEFINITELY feel sympathy for you!

Susie O'Rourke said...

Hoping the spring...and eventually summer...bring happier times outdoors, fun times with the kids and Will, and a magical tailbone cure. The pictures are fantastic--I love the family pic on Easter. Beautiful! Ethan is looking so handsom (and grown up!!) in that sport coat!!

Susie O'Rourke said...

I hate when I have spelling errors on an english teacher's blog!!

HANDSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And, I've seen you teach...you'll be fab when you return (whenever that is). Because...I said so....and I KNOW so!