Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Teaching Again

Awhile ago, I wrote about going through training to be an adjunct professor for Ashford University's online program. I made it through the training and was thrown into the hiring pool. Last week, I received an email from the scheduler, asking me if I'd like to take an Introduction to Literature course that would start April 28th. I said yes. So, back to teaching I go!

It's a larger class and one that actually comes with a TA of sorts. There is another person assigned to grade the essays in this course. I'm thrilled for two reasons: 1. I will teach English without grading essays, and 2. I will not have to SIT down to read all the essays and comment on the computer, something I was afraid of when I took on the teaching assignment. But, while it will be nice to not have to be grading essays all the time, it will likely make instructional duties a little more difficult since I will not be seeing all the work of my students'. I imagine I will have access to the essays or at least be able to discuss common issues with the person assigned to grade them. If not, how will I know how to better my instruction? As time consuming as grading essays can be, it is a chance to see how my students are progressing and also see where they could use more thorough instruction. I just want to get through this first class so I know a little more what I'm doing. Going through a class the first time is always going to be the most difficult because everything is so new.

I'm really pretty excited about being back in the classroom again, albeit a non-traditional one. The course itself seems pretty challenging with a good amount of reading every week. Fortunately, I am familiar with a lot of the stories, poems, and plays. Some I do not know, though, so I am looking forward to the anthology arriving. I pulled out some old college anthologies today, as well as my Seagull Reader from a class I taught, which have some of the stories and poems I need to read. I read three short stories and some poems just now during Ethan's nap. I want to get a handle on the reading so that I can focus on my "lectures" next week.

As an update to my physical therapy situation, I am looking into going to the therapist my orthopedic surgeon originally recommended. This therapist, of course, is not in network for our insurance, but with a discount, it shouldn't be too much out of pocket. I called yesterday, got her contact information, and actually emailed her with my history. I didn't want to have to make an appointment only to find out she was not really going to be able to help. I am awaiting her reply anxiously. I also put a call in to a friend, Waqas, who is an orthopedic resident. It's my way of getting a second opinion from another surgeon. We'll see what he has to say. My recent surge of activity on the PT front comes mostly from my frustration at still being in pain a lot and my terror at the thought of having to sit at the computer a lot more when my class starts. I really need to get on the road to recovery!

1 comment:

Keelagirl said...

And if I can be your grader eventually....